When planning the interior of a house, every nook and corner should be incorporated for a balanced and aesthetically pleasing décor. Let’s take the stairs for example; instead of keeping it bare and unattended, you can elevate the look and feel of a flight of stairs by installing custom runner rugs .
Runner rugs not only look pleasing but also add warmth and coziness to the décor. They also come in handy for preserving the surface of hardwood and polish of the stone stairs.
While acknowledging the benefits of installing runner rugs, a lot of homeowners back out because they remain unsure of how to install a stair runner. Although some hire professionals for the job, the ones who are reluctant to spend on the service simply delete the idea from their mind. But we are here to tell you otherwise. Installing runner rugs is a simple DIY, provided you know the essential tips and tricks.
Stepwise Process of Installing Stair Runners
For your knowhow, we have mentioned the step-by-step process of how to install a stair runner, along with a few regular care and maintenance tips to make it last longer. Let’s begin with the installation process.
- Clean the stairs and prep it for installation. There should not be any dirt, grease, or grime on the surface.
- Measure the length and breadth of the stairs. Now, mark the places and edges where the runner will fit.
- Cut the carpet pad accordingly and tape it to the surface. You can also use a stapler to do the same.
- Now, carefully roll the runner and by placing it on the pad along the dimensions, fix it with a stapler.
- Secure it tightly at the bottom step. In case you are using a stapler, use the pins along the area where the carpet ends for a snug fit.
- You need to staple the carpet tightly along the top where the stairs are rising and meeting the tread.
- You can use a knee-kicker to tighten the placement of the rug.
- Wedge the carpet along the top riser curve using a stair tool.
- Follow the same process till the bottom.
- Once you cover all the stirs, trim the excess part of the runner.
Regular Care of your Custom Runner Rugs
The longevity of the custom runner rugs depends on care and maintenance. Here are a few tips to follow for your runner rugs.
- Irrespective of the fabric, considering that runner rugs are made from durable fibers, regular vacuuming takes care of the dry cleaning.
- For liquid spills, you need to dab the place with a soft cloth or paper towel and use homemade cleaners (vinegar + mild detergent + water).
- For hard spills, one needs to scrape off the bits and follow-up by dabbing with the homemade cleaning solution.
From installation to cleaning, everything involving runner rugs on stairs is simple DIYs that do not require any professional assistance. Cover those stairs with beautiful and soft runner rugs and follow the care tips to keep it nice and shiny for years to come. Browse the link to get some great runner options for your home and office.