Table of Contents:
- Carpet Stair Treads: Utility + Aesthetics
- Material Options in Stair Treads to Choose from
- Consider these Before Installing Stair Treads
- Follow the Steps to Install Carpet Stair Treads
- Cleaning and Care for Carpet Stair Treads
- Best carpet stair treads of 2021 - Review
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
A striking interior is the perfect balance of beauty and utility. When planning the décor of your house, office, or anywhere indoors, you should try to add a few elements of value as well. Keeping the place aesthetically pleasing might be a priority but a touch of efficacy will make your décor all the more welcoming and charming in the eyes of the beholder.
Hello readers! Today on that note, we will talk about carpet stair treads and the value these add to your interior spaces. Along with the essential aspects like materials and maintenance, we have also reviewed the best carpet stair treads of 2021. So, without delay, let’s tread on with it!
Carpet Stair Treads: Utility + Aesthetics
If you don’t have stairs indoors, then you are blessed with one less place to worry about when planning the décor. However, even with a flight of stairs, people often pay less or no attention to that space.
A quick reminder here; stairs tend to attract heavy traffic in both homes and offices. If you have kids running up and down the steps and pets scurrying right behind them, that area needs some coverage. It is both for the sake of safety as well as the longevity of the stairs.
Also, let’s not forget that covering up the stairs with the right material in a pretty design will enhance the beauty of your décor. Keeping all those aspects in mind, here are a few benefits of adding carpet treads to your stairs:
- No slips and slides Whether you have hardwood, engineered wood, tiles, or stone stairs indoors, left uncovered, they pose the risk of falls and slips. That’s not what you would want in a house with the children and the elderly.
- Protects the steps Your staircase is one of the high traffic areas in the house, especially with pets inside. Too much movement on bare steps can reduce its longevity and lead to chips and cracks. In case you have hardwood stairs, those can get scratches or scuff marks. Putting the carpet treads increases the lifecycle of the stairs and protects the surface.
- Noise Reducer As people tread up and down the stairs, their footsteps echo through the house often leading to disturbance. After reaching home late from work at night, the last thing you need is to disturb the slumber of your family members, with the click of your heels. Besides that, bare stairs can be too noisy, to begin with. Mute it by taping on some carpet treads.
- Tread in Comfort Treads cushion your stairs. So, every time you walk barefoot, your steps are welcomed by the warmth and softness of the carpet, rather than the cold hardwood or stone surface.
Stairs covered with treads give you enough support and foot grip to prevent falls. Even if you do end up stumbling, the soft and cushiony texture of the tread prevents major injuries. So, make your stairs safe with treads.
To summarise, carpet stair treads not only look beautiful, but also offer safety, comfort, maintenance, and peace indoors. What more can one want! To browse the different varieties of treads available for buying, go through our review of the best carpet stair treads of 2021.
Material Options in Stair Treads to Choose from
You cannot go into a store to buy treads, backed by your prior experience of buying a carpet. Stair treads might be available in almost the same varieties, but the purpose of a carpet and a stair tread is different.
The material of the tread is an essential determining factor, and hence should be chosen as per one’s needs and preference. Here we have detailed the different material options that you will get for stair treads.
Natural fibers are sustainable, renewable, and biodegradable, which makes them eco-friendly. If you are pro-organic from food to home décor, there are some great options to invest in the stair treads department. Whether you are fan of a country-rustic vibe or the classy elegance style the neutral tones of natural fibers make up for both.
Jute - Jute is one of the most popular natural fibers derived from the stem of the jute plant. It is widely used to manufacture carpets, treads, and other décor items. It is soft under your feet and has a fine texture. Jute treads are durable and hence suitable for mid-to-high traffic areas, not to mention, the fiber is anti-static and naturally fire-retardant.
Sisal - Derived from the leaves of the Agave sisalana plant indigenous to Central America, sisal is the toughest natural fiber that you will ever come across. It is highly durable and has better longevity compared to other natural fibers. Sisal is perfect for high-traffic areas like stairs. It might be stiff in texture with a coarser feel under feet, but is thicker compared to other materials and offer better grip. Just like jute, these too are naturally fire-resistant and anti-static.
If you are looking for aesthetics, along with comfort and utility, then synthetic fibers have some of the best designs in the market. From the oriental and Persian look to abstract and asymmetric patterns, you get both contemporary and traditional styles in treads.
Polypropylene – It is a popular choice for tread manufacturers and buyers, owing to the low-cost, compared to nylon. Other than that, polypropylene is resistant to stains and easy to clean and dry. Being lightweight, these are very easy to install, not to mention super soft under the feet. Being non-porous, it does not give out any odor and is known for being quite long-lasting.
Polyester – Polyester has the same attributes as polypropylene. These are the best synthetic fiber choices for treads and carpets, which attributes to the versatility and durability of the same.
In our review segment of best carpet stair treads of 2021, we have mentioned an assortment of high-quality stair rugs manufactured from both natural and synthetic fibers. Keep reading to know more about them.
Consider these Before Installing Stair Treads
Before setting up anything indoors or installing within the living space, certain conditions need your attention. For carpet stair treads, you will have to consider the following, especially before deciding the material:
- Traffic on the Stairs The traffic tends to be more on the stairs. Determine the amount of footfall that your stairs receive in a day. According to that, you need to choose a tread material.
- Pets in the House If you have more than one dog and cats, it is best to go for a highly-durable material like sisal fiber, as it minimizes wear and tears. Soft fiber or looped patterns must be avoided as they may get snagged under the claws of your furry friend.
- Landings between the Stairs The landing creates a break in the flight of stairs, which will impact the arrangement of your treads. You need to decide whether you will leave the landing bare and cover just the steps or make some layering arrangement for the former as well.
- Shoes or Barefoot If it is home, there is less chance that people will walk up and down the stairs wearing shoes. Most prefer to stay barefoot indoors or wear soft soles, not heels or heavy-duty shoes. However, if you are buying treads for your office staircase then the material needs to be robust to meet the heavy traffic of heels, boots, and shoes.
Apart from these, depending on the breadth and length of the stairs you will have to decide whether you need a tread or runner. If the steps are too wide and long, then finding a readymade tread becomes somewhat of a challenge as they are fabricated in standard sizes.
Follow the Steps to Install Carpet Stair Treads
Installing carpet treads in your indoor space is no rocket science. You have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Scrub and clean the staircase and let it fully dry before initiating the installation of the treads.
- Finding the center point of the tread and leaving a gap of 1 to 2 inches from the edge, place the carpet along the edge right in the middle.
- Cut strips of double-sided carpet tape and use the same to fix it to the stairs along the latex backing. You can also use staples, but tapes are the better alternative. At this stage, you can also add padding if you want to the treads.
- Continue with the same taping procedure with each tread until all your steps are covered and snug for movement.
Every tread set comes with a DIY instruction manual for your reference. Click here for an instructional video
Cleaning and Care for Carpet Stair Treads
Proper care and maintenance are the keys to the longevity of any indoor item, especially carpets and treads. Here are a few care tips to follow:
- Since treads are taped to the stairs, they can be taken out. We recommend that you un-tape once a year for shaking and dusting it outdoors.
- Regular vacuuming usually does the job of preventing the accumulation of dust and loose dirt.
- For stains, you need to use a mild cleaner, preferably home-made, and dab the surface with a soft cloth or tissue.
- In case of liquid spills of color like wine, tea, or coffee, you can use the concoction of 1 tsp of white vinegar, 1 tsp of mild detergent, and 2 quarts of tepid water. Now use the solution to dab the place of the spill or stain.
- For hard spills, you need to scrape it off with a blunt object and follow up by dabbing the stain off using the solution.
- Steer clear of chemical cleaners, as that will not only damage the treads but can affect the wood or stone as well by seeping down to the stair surface.
Best Carpet Stair Treads of 2021
Now that we are past all the essential know-how on carpet stair treads, let’s come to the purchasing part. Hereunder we have listed our pick of best carpet stair treads for 2021 for you to browse.
1. Florence Jute Stair Treads
Set of 9 Price - $104.50
The set of handmade jute stair treads come in four different colors, with weavings in contrasting tones. They come in a unique long shape with oval edges adding to the softness of their look. Made from jute, these are both comfortable under the feet and suitable for mid to high traffic stairs.
2. Halton Polyester Handmade Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Price - $35
A basic pattern in solid colors of beige and chocolate available for the buyer, these are classy and contemporary for the hardwood stairs. Made of polyester the treads are both durable and stain-resistant. The rubber backing prevents slippage and aids in firm setting on the stairs.
3. Siracusa Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Set of 4, 8, and 13 Price - $45, $99, $165
Made from 100% recycled PET this is both eco-friendly and safe for home use. The silvery grey tone goes well against the wood finish, giving a simple yet classy finesse to the stairs. Displayed treads are easy to clean, anti-static, and durable even under high-traffic conditions.
4. Caesar PP Brown Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Set of 4, 8, and 13 Price - $29, $59, $105
The fuzzy brown look with specks of off-white attests to the soft comfort of these polypropylene treads. Easy to install with an anti-slip backing these are perfect for houses with kids and pets. The material is naturally stain-resistant and anti-static
5. Bari PP Dark Grey Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Set of 4, 8, and 13 Price - $64.99, $69.99 (set of 13)
Dark grey stair treads with a silvery finish and asymmetric patterns in white on it; the treads create the perfect contrast of shadow and light, giving a contemporary feel to the décor. Made from polypropylene these are highly durable against wear and tear and very easy to clean and maintain.
6. Lewis Sisal Stair Treads
Size – 9”x29” Set of 13 Price - $140
The neutral beige tone of the sisal fibers with contrasting multi-color parallel streaks makes these treads stand out from all the mundane designs. The item is made from 100% natural and organic sisal fibers, bound together on all sides with a thick cotton canvas border. The thickness and durability of the tread set make it suitable for high-traffic areas.
7. Zion Sisal Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Set of 4, 8, and 13 Price - $55, $105, $175
Natural sisal fibers handwoven into intricate patterns and bound by black borders; this tread set depicts classy elegance through its highlight of the basic beauty of the neutral tones. The durability of the sisal makes it perfect for high-traffic stairs. The material is also anti-static with noise-proofing qualities, not to mention it is stain and soil-resistant.
8. Sydney Chocolate PP Stair Treads
Size – 9”x29” Set of 13 Price - $150
Sydney Chocolate Stair Tread brings the magic of Persian rugs into your furnishings, with the classic ornamental floral motif patterns. The design is timeless and elegant, which will go with any kind of color palette and style, while enhancing the same. Made from 100% polypropylene the stair tread set of 13 is resistant to stain and soiling. It is super-soft and comfortable under the feet.
9. Chateau Sisal Stair Treads
Size – 9”x29” Set of 13 Price - $199
The criss-cross patterns in black and neutral beige color combinations are the key features of this beautiful contemporary stair tread. Made from 100% natural and organic sisal, the treads are backed by non-slip dotted backing and bound by a thick cotton canvas border in dark shade. It is perfect for high-traffic stairs owing to the durability of the sisal fiber.
10. Terracota PP Stair Treads Carpet
Size – 9”x29” Set of 3 Price - $65
A premium quality tread set of three, this one is inspired by the oriental and Persian style mimicking the floral motifs and intricate filigree designs. It is fabricated in 100% polypropylene with a cotton backing to ensure durability against wear and tear. These are both easy to install and require seamless maintenance. With the soft feel alongside the elegant look, this one will be the perfect addition to your staircase.
Before splurging on carpet stair treads, make sure that it complements the material of the stair. Not all color palettes would look good with wood floors. It's best to go with contrasting color tones and designs, one that makes the treads stand out, yet not feel like an eye-sore amidst the other elements used to decorate the indoors.
As we mentioned at the beginning of the blog, balance is crucial for strike perfection in the décor. The contrast that you introduce through the furnishings should be complementary, or else it might depict anarchy of styles and designs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is the best material for carpet stair treads?
It’s unfair to point out just one material as the best. Stairs usually attract heavy traffic especially if you have kids and pets at home. So, you will need durable material like the ones we have mentioned above as best carpet stair treads 2021. Sisal, jute, and polypropylene in synthetic fibers are good choices.
2. Is it easy to install treads on your own?
Stair treads like the ones that we have discussed in this blog come with a latex backing and with a DIY manual. You just need to follow the instructions as they are very easy to install.
3. Are stair treads available individually or as a set?
Stair treads usually come in sets, as you need them for a flight of stairs. For a single piece, in case you need to replace a damaged tread, it best to reach out to the manufacturer and see if they can suffice your need.
4. Will it be easy to clean the treads?
Stair treads are fairly easy to clean. Just follow the care and maintenance tips mentioned above and you are good to go.
5. Will the latex damage my hardwood stairs?
The latex backing is an essential part of tread manufacturing. It is included to make it non-slip. It will in no way interfere with the wood of your stairs.
Comment and share this blog and let us know how you feel about adding carpet stair treads to your interior décor. Stay tuned for more such interesting reads on home décor items.