Since we don’t see them, many people feel that rug pads under area rugs are unnecessary. This is a common misconception and is simply not accurate, and a good rug pad should never be taken for granted. They play an important role that goes beyond simply adding to the cushiony feel of a rug underfoot. Consider these benefits that only a rug pad can provide:
- Protection for your rug and floors Without a rug pad, your area rugs will create a friction that will gradually wear against and deteriorate your lovely hard floors. If you place a dark area rug on light colored flooring, this is especially true. In this scenario, a rug pad is essential to prevent scratching, staining or any color bleeding from the rug into your carpet or flooring.
- Extends the life of your carpet Laying area rugs on top of carpeting is a very popular look right now. To maintain your carpets quality and shape, rug pads are needed. In addition, rug pads also keep your carpets clean and allow for more airflow between the layers.
- Prevention of bacteria build-up A rug pad can help to combat odors, mold, and mildew by providing ventilation between your area rug and the floor. This makes for easier and more effective vacuuming and cleaning. Not only does this help your rug last longer, but it also benefits those in your home who may have allergies or sensitive skin—particularly any kids who love to play on floor!
- Provides safety, keeps your rugs in place Rug pads are responsible for preventing countless slip and fall accidents. Most area rugs are very slippery underneath and rug pads are designed to grip the floor as well as the rug to keep them in place. Rug pads come in all types, some of them made specifically to keep rugs in place on your wooden floors, while others are made to keep them from moving about on your carpets.
- Extends the life of your area rug Perhaps this is the most important service that a rug pad provides. Area rugs can be a big investment, and if well taken care of they can last a lifetime. Rug pads combat against the traffic your area rugs see, acting as a buffer against the hard surface and soft rug. A good rug pad will protect the fibers of your rug from being crushed and make them more resistant to the inevitable wear and tear of everyday life. This is especially important for rugs constructed from natural fibers.
Area rugs are an important part of your home décor, don’t let them depreciate before their time or become a safety hazard for lack of a good rug pad. The right rug pad can last for years: out of sight, but definitely not out of mind.