The reasons that you should decorate your home with a natural fiber rug are abundant. Rugs like jute, seagrass and even sisal are among the fastest and easiest to take care of. They cost a fraction of what most other quality rugs do and they are great for the environment as well. These types of rugs can be used just about anywhere for any purpose that you might have in mind. Most of the top designers today tend to want to go natural and get natural fiber rugs for every room in their homes.
These rugs tend to share some of the same qualities but they are no totally alike. Some people will find that one may work better for them than the other. Many people have a hard time deciding if they should go with the sisal rug that is great for high volumes of traffic or something softer which could be a jute rug in your living area. If you need to know more about these rugs just keep reading.
Jute is a fiber that is derived from natural plant stems. You can normally find these types of plants growing primarily in India and Bangladesh. This product is also what you will find in twine and burlap as well. The fibers of the Jute have a soft texture with a wavy sheen to them which makes it great for those that like to walk barefoot around the house. If you want something that is amazingly soft you want to look for a jute rug that is mixed with chenille. The way they are weaved together you will get a much softer rug than normal.
The jute rug is best used in areas of the home that do not see a lot of foot traffic as they are not as durable as some of the other types. They can however, help to cover up bad stains that may be soaked into your floor. Jute rugs have a great organic feel to them. You may see some shedding of these rugs because of the natural plant fibers. This will only last for a while, once it gets a bit older the shedding will cease.
The sisal in these rugs is derived from the agave plant; this is also the same plant that is used to make tequila and aloe. The plant is grown mainly in Central America. However, when it comes to major production of the fibers, it comes from East Africa and Brazil. When you want something strong and durable, you definitely want to go with Sisal. It may cost you a bit more than the others but it will be worth it when it comes to durability and having them in high traffic areas is the best. One thing to be careful of with a sisal rug is to keep them out of direct sunlight as they will fade in coloring.
The seagrass rug is perfect for areas of the house that tend to get a lot of spills and other accidents as it stands up perfectly to stains. The weave of this rug is very tight which makes it extremely soft.
One thing to keep in mind is that you should never put natural fiber rugs in areas with a lot of moisture like the bathroom. If you want to do some comparing to find the best rug for you, check out the selection at Natural Area Rugs.
It is almost time for that spring cleaning and redecoration. You can freshen up any look in your home after the cold and dark winter with quite a few things. From the kitchen to the bedroom and every room in between, let’s take a peek at what changes you can make without breaking the bank.
Kitchens are probably the easiest room to decorate for spring and it only takes a few key items. You can start with putting a set of country looking canisters right on your countertops and then take your tired old kitchen rugs and replace them with some natural fiber ones. Put one right in front of your sink and maybe one in front of the stove too. If you have a table in your kitchen, add a rug under the table too. Just make sure with that one that it is large enough to still be under the chairs when they are pulled out. Jute is a great natural fiber for kitchen area rugs and a jute rug will go with nearly every type of décor that is already in place.
In the bedroom you can pack all of those dark colors and heavy fabrics that were ideal for snuggling in the long winter nights away. They will be out of place in the spring. Get out the lighter, bright colors for the bed and window dressings and consider putting a natural fiber rug on the floor. Sisal rugs are great for use in the bedroom and they can be just the thing that you need to tie the look of the room together.
Now, entryways ae where your guests will get their first impression of your home. It is also an area that will see a lot of traffic. A seagrass rug might work ideally here. Not only will it look amazing, it will also be able to stand up to the traffic. You can get a seagrass rug in natural colors and patterns and it will impress all of your guests as soon as they see it. Aside from the rug, add some flowers – fresh or faux – in spring looking containers and put them on the table in your entryway or right in the windowsill for a pop of color.
Color palettes that are inspired by nature will allow for you to layer a variety of shades to create a look that is unique. This means that any type of natural fiber rug will be great in the living room. Colors like ivory and wheat make it incredibly easy to combine many different shades of greens, terra cottas and more. Put a natural rug in a corner and put a little pedestal table and a wingback chair on it to make a quaint little reading corner. You can also use an area rug in the center of the room to beautifully bring the entire look together.
As you can see, it is quite easy to use an area rug in any room in the house for your spring decorating.
We talk about natural fiber rugs all of the time and about how great they look and how you can decorate anywhere with one. What are some of the other benefits though? How much do you really know about this type of rug? Why don’t we take a closer look and find out more?
Natural fiber rugs are well known for their ability to old up to wear and tear and for their longevity. The type of fiber that a rug is created from will dictate which benefits the rug will give you. Every rug that is made from natural fibers can be used in areas that receive a high rate of foot traffic. Here is a quick look at basic traffic zones:
High Traffic Areas – These are typically hallways, family rooms and entryways
Medium Traffic Areas – home offices and living rooms
Low Traffic Areas – formal living rooms and bedrooms
The best thing about rugs that are made from natural fibers is that they have patterns and colors that work well with anything. Natural fiber sisal rugs blend into their surroundings perfectly so that you don’t really need to be too worried about wondering if it will work with the room.
The simple patterns and natural colors of a sisal rug are always nonobtrusive while also being able to impress anyone who sees them. Stylish carpets made from sisal stand out while not overpowering any space.
Sisal will stain quicker than a rug made from seagrass or jute so don’t put it in an area where it will be exposed to grime and dirt. These rugs work best in areas that get medium traffic and they can actually assist in cooling the room die to their ability to absorb humidity.
This fiber is incredibly durable and is great for use in hallways or entryways. Typically, this type of rug will have a backing made from latex, which will hold all of the woven fibers where they belong. That being said, these rugs are not meant to be used outside due to the fact that they were not made to be able to brave the elements.
Are rugs that ae made from jute are best used in areas that get a medium amount of traffic. They are long lasting and hard wearing. Natural jute can be shiny, will hold dyes well, is resistant to fading and is naturally anti-static.
Other Advantages of Natural Fiber Rugs
- This type of rug is not as expensive as you might think
- Some of the natural fiber rugs will work both indoors and outside
- They give a look that is nature inspired to any room
- They are versatile enough to be used in any space
- They will protect both your hard floors and your carpeted areas
Since we are a company that specializes in rugs made from natural fibers, we could tell you all kinds of things about them and how they compare to and surpass everything else on the market. Instead, here is a list of 20 things that you might not know about them.
- Rugs made from natural fibers are durable. It doesn’t matter how much traffic they get, they will last for years.
- Rugs made from natural fibers are diverse. They don’t all look or even feel alike.
- Rugs made from natural fibers are not always expensive and can even be quite affordable…especially when compared to cheap, synthetic rugs.
- These rugs are friendly to the planet and you can help reduce your carbon footprint by using one of them in place of one made from synthetic materials.
- They are not always a pain in the neck to clean. Contrary to popular belief, these rugs can be quite easy to clean.
- Each rug made from natural fibers is unique just as each fiber they are made from is. The natural hues and even the shapes of the fibers can make each one beautifully unique.
- You will always be able to find an ideal rug for each room, regardless of what the other décor is like.
- Rugs made from natural fibers can be central to the design of a room
- These rugs can look casual and airy or give a room a look that is more formal
- Aside from being environmentally friendly, there are not as many chemicals used in the production of these rugs when compared to rugs made from synthetic materials
- Choosing a natural area rug for any space means that you have tons of options
- Natural area rugs are typically flat woven – meaning there is no pile and many times, they can be reversible
- These rugs are created from fibers that are plant based and then tightly woven together
- Although cotton might sometimes be added to make the rugs softer, the rugs are mainly made from fibers that come from seagrass, jute and sisal or wool
- Many people choose to use these rugs in entryways but they work well in every space
- These rugs are resistant to stains and very tough
- Rugs made from natural fibers can are able to hold dyes in order to be made more colorful
- Many of the natural fiber rugs can be resistant to pet hair, which makes it easier for your vacuum to get all of it up
- Natural area rugs can go hand in hand with any type of décor
- You can even split large rooms up into specific spaces that can be delineated by different natural fiber rugs.
Natural Area Rugs specializes in rugs that are made from natural fibers. For the best selection and great prices, head on over now to find the natural area rug of your dreams.
Yes, it is true that area rugs are becoming the “in” thing again. There is good reason for it too. They are gorgeous and can enhance the look of any space. Here are some tips on finding the ideal rug for your space.
- Know what you want. Natural fiber rugs are not like the ones made with synthetic materials. Also, not all natural fiber rugs are the same. Choose from natural fibers such as mountain grass, sea grass, wool, jute and sisal. They are all stunning and all different.
- Choose the one that will complement your If you have pets inside, then you might want to choose one that is resistant to dirt. Then again, it might be for a high traffic area and if so, it will need to be hard wearing. If you have allergies, choose one that will not aggravate them.
- Size matters. How large do you need it to be? Will a standard size work or will you need one with a custom size?
- Cover what needs to be covered. Rugs will always look their best when they are large enough to get underneath everything in the space that they are in while not being wall to wall.
- Get the color right. Remember that natural area rugs will naturally come in natural colors. While any of them will be in shades of green, tan or brown, the shades have a diversity that means no two are alike. Also, cowhide and wool rugs can always be dyed if you like.
- Don’t forget the border! All of the rugs that can be found here at Natural Area Rugs come bordered in a canvas of high quality that comes in 14 color options. These borders really make the rug stand out.
- Which weave? These rugs are available in different patterns for the weave. Choose from herringbone, basket or tight knit.
- Never go padless. Area rugs are notoriously slippery. Having a pad underneath one can take the slip factor out of the equation. It can also protect both the rug and the floor underneath the rug while adding more cushion for your feet.
- The smell will pass. When natural fiber rugs are new…they smell like the natural fibers. Just as a new car smell will fade, this too shall pass.
- Know the fiber. If you are choosing a rug for a stairway, don’t go with sea grass because it can be slippery. Choose the fiber that will work the best for the area where it will be.
- Keep It clean. While these rugs are resistant to stains and can absorb spills. Still, when you clean them, do it right.
- Rotate it. If you don’t want the traffic to wear a path through your rug, rotate it on a regular basis.
When choosing your area rug, remember these tips and you won’t go wrong. Our professionals at Natural Area Rugs are standing by to help you with your choice.